Tuesday, November 14, 2006

CT on men's ministry: a 50 year priority

Don't miss the probing and future-oriented cover story from Christianity Today's October 2006 issue, which included a paragraph on ministry to men (they noticed!). The entire article is valuable, so I hope you'll follow the link and ponder where the U.S. evangelical Church is headed. Here's the graph:

"Few pastors mention gender, but Robert Lewis of Fellowship Bible Church in Little Rock, Arkansas, and Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church in Seattle both see ministry to men as the future's key challenge. Lewis considers men 'the lost gender,' while Driscoll highlights a crying need for proclaiming a manly Jesus, lest 'increasingly impotent churches [become] filled with mere handfuls of nice church boys standing around drinking decaf while the world goes to hell.'"

Christianity Today, "What's Next? 114 leaders on evangelical priorities for the next 50 years"
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/october/18.72.html

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great to see you are online, as a voice in the wilderness. The Blog looks good, you got the hang of it already.
Men are hiding, men are not challenged and men hate church, lets do sumthin 'bout it man.

Dănuţ said...

I was never fully sold on the idea that we somehow have to make the Christian men more manly and agressive. I have heard this discussed by colleagues at PK. Brad Stine started something like this.

I think men don't go to church not because churches are too prissy, but because they don't like what churches have become overall.

I am VERY turned off by megachurches, and by what I see on these TV channels...
I think churches have been compromised in their current form and we need to re-define what it means to be part of a church.

But I'll stay tuned, because if I shound confident in this post, I am not. Still looking at what's happening out there and trying to see where exactly I stand.

But, great to see you online blogging, Steve!!!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to leave my stamp of approval, too. I am expecting more interisting tidbits from you, now. As I have always relied on you to provide.
Roger

Unknown said...

Just wanted to leave my stamp of approval, too. I am expecting more interisting tidbits from you, now. As I have always relied on you to provide.
Roger

Unknown said...

I menat interEsting. By the way, from others comments, can we kiklkl the church and start over?

Unknown said...

It's my fingers, not my brain. Where is that spell check?

Jim said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I came over thanks to Mr. Bob. We know each other from the RMA. Good to have another Christian blogger around!!